Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 12 scones.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup dried cherries
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons water
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, oatmeal, brown sugar and then cherries - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- OAT AND CHERRY SCONES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 10 tbsp melted butter, 2/3 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 egg white and 3 tbsp water.
- OAT AND CHERRY SCONES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar and still until just moistened; let stand 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into 2 6-inch rounds and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- With a floured knife, score each round into 6 wedges without cutting through the dough.
- Combine the egg white and water and brush over each round.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes, cut into scones and serve warm; or cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
I made this for the Christmas Spelling Bee in the Photo Forum. Fits just right in the jar and looks lovely! I will be back to give stars to my review when I make a batch!