Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I really like this in the fall when its just starting to get cold.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups light corn syrup
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- In a nonstick saucepan, heat and stir sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Over high heat, using a candy thermometer, cook sugar mixture to a hard crack stage (290 degrees F).
- Add nuts and butter and cook to 300 degrees F stirring all the time to keep the nuts from burning. Pull off heat at 300 degrees F and stir in baking soda while beating to froth for 30 seconds.
- Pour at once on to 4 well buttered 15 1/2 by 10 by 1-inch pans. Spread with a spatula as thin as possible. As the brittle cools you may use gloves to hand stretch the brittle which will give it a better eating quality.
- This brittle has a great shelf life, if kept in airtight zip locks or containers; it will keep for 2 months.