Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This has been a holiday favorite for years at our house!
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 9.85 ml almond extract
- 1 egg
- 709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 591.47 ml powdered sugar
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 29.58-44.37 ml milk
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all cookie ingredients EXCEPT flour and nutmeg; beat on med.
- speed until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and nutmeg; mix well.
- Divide dough into 6 parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each part by hand into a long rope about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Cut into 3" lengths; place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- FROSTING: Combine all ingredients and beat until spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled logs and run the tines of a fork through frosting to resemble"bark.
- "Dust lightly with nutmeg.
If you love nutmeg, these are for you! I found the recipe after many years and they are as good as I remember. My recipe is slightly different, but not enough to change it significantly. These are also very pretty to present with the nutmeg sprinkled on top. You can even tint the icing with food coloring if you want.