Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not yet tried these but they look and sound delicious. From Vegetarian Times, Dec. 2011. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nutella
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hazelnut extract (optional)
- 18 teaspoons nutella
- 36 whole blanched hazelnuts, for garnish
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat Nutella and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and combined. Beat in the brown sugar, then egg and hazelnut extract (if using). Add the flour mixture with mixer on low speed until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper. Use the wrap to shape into a 2-inch-diameter log. Secure tightly, and chill for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Slice dough log into 1/4-inch-thick slices, rolling log 90 degrees between slices to keep edges round.
- Transfer slices to greased or parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are firm and dry. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Decorate with 1/2 tsp Nutella and 1 hazelnut per cookie.
Not too sweet, which is a good thing since it has a nutella spread topping. Did find the dough a bit crumbly, so I rolled them out instead of doing slice and bake. Came out fine. The only downside to the cookie is the nutella doesn't harden at all, so it's hard to store the cookies. I ended up making sandwich cookies so they wouldn't be so messy. Great chocolate cookie Flower! Thanks! Made for PRMR Nov 2012