Who doesn't like Mac & Cheese? Enjoy a family favorite that is EASY to make (in your slow cooker!), creamy and downright delicious. My mouth is watering just writing about it!
- 10 ounces cavatappi pasta, dry
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup swiss cheese (I used Grueyere)
- 8 ounces white cheese, cubed (American)
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup corn, flake crumbs
- Coat inside of crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cavatappi pasta, white cheddar, swiss and white American cheeses, half-and-half, evaporated milk and minced sweet onion in crock; stir well and cover; cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
- When there is 30 minutes cook time remaining, stir in Worcestershire, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in cornflake crumbs and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until toasted and golden. Sprinkle over Mac & Cheese and serve immediately.
I have not made mac & cheese in the crock pot before and to be honest I doubt I'll do it again. While the taste was quite nice the texture was really not to our liking and the leftovers turned to mush. Perhaps my crock pot is hotter, I set it on low but the noodles were cooked in only 90 minutes but the cheese was not yet melted. I found I couldn't leave it for more than 15 minutes for stirring as well making it one that I wouldn't do if I was gone for a few hours. I would however make the cheese sauce again, which was very tasty, in the crock pot and cook the noodles separately. I'll try that at some point and come back with my results. Made for RSC #16. Best of luck!
This recipe indeed is wonderful! It has a great creamy, cheesy consistency with a lovely crunch to the top and the taste is just delish! YUM, everbody loved this! :)
I dont own a crockpot, so I simply cooked my pasta on the stove-top and then added the sauce ingredients and the topping (which I had mixed in a bowl). I baked the casserole at 375°C for 25 minutes and it was perfectly done. The only thing I changed in order to accomodate this was to reduce the amounts of half and half and milk, cause my cooking time was way shorter. Not much hassle either.
I enjoyed the addition of onion a lot, but would add more next time. Also I think some garlic powder would be great in this.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a fantastic mac and cheese recipe, chef! Ill make this again and again.
Made and reviewed for RSC #16 May 2011. Good Luck in the contest!
Never made mac & cheese in a crock pot before - I cooked this on low as instructed. But I opened it a few times and stirred it because the pasta on top wasn't cooking. The consistency when first served was a bit different but reheating it the next day improved the overall flavor and consistency.