Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this from our family friend Ray. He calls it Mexican shrimp cocktail. It is different but delicious. This gets served in cups with spoons You can modify this: add jalapenos if you like, less hot sauce, less cilantro....you get the idea. Play to the crowd that you will be feeding. My kids like me to make it and we keep it in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and munch on it for lunch or snacks until it is gone. Try it before you decide you don't like it, you might be pleasantly surprised!! **Cooking time is cooling time to allow the flavors to marry.
- 2 (453.59 g) bagfrozen cooked baby shrimp, thawed
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2365.9 ml water
- 1020.58 g ketchup
- hot sauce (I use Texas Pete's)
- Rinse shrimp in cold water and drain. Place in large bowl.
- Dice sweet onion and add to same bowl.
- Add water, then ketchup. If using hot sauce add now. Mix all ingredients well.
- Chop cilantro, add to the bowl and mix inches.
- *If you want to add jalapenos, add them in step 2. Seeded for not too much heat or seeds included for full heat.*.
I didn't have any baby shrimp on hand, but I did have a few bags of Mexican langostino tails lounging in the freezer, and this was perfect for them! I have to admit, I was a little concerned about making coctel with an entire bottle of ketchup, but my worries were unfounded. I added more than 1lb of seafood to this because I was trying to use up 3 12oz packs of langostinos, but I'm glad I did (this recipe makes a heck of a lot of sauce, and we like coctel that is heavy on the seafood). Per suggestions in the recipe intro, I added two diced jalapenos and one diced avocado to the mix. I also subbed a bottle of Clamato juice for 4 cups of the water. For the hot sauce, I did half Valentina Picante, half Sriracha sauce (I know, Sriracha sauce isn't exactly Mexican, but it's SO GOOD in Mexican coctel! I served this with lime wedges and saltines. I'll definitely be making this again (especially if DH has anything to say about it). Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 09