My husband recently made this dish for a Scandinavian potluck. As strange a combination as it sounds, it's very tasty and was gobbled up by everybody at the event. Give it a try! This recipe is based on one from an excellent cookbook called "Eat the Norway," where they say: "Should you be invited to an informal evening get-together in Norway - sewing club, bridge party or the like - you may well be served this dish, particularly in late summer when Norwegian cauliflower is at its best."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and de-vein the shrimp, reserving the shells, and coarsely chop the shrimp meat into 1/2-inch sized pieces; then set the meat aside.
- 2Place the reserved shrimp shells only (not the uncooked shrimp meat) in a stockpot together with the water; turn temperature to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3While stock is simmering, break the cauliflower into small florets and steam until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Strain shells from the stock and reserve the liquid.
- 5Add flour to butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until golden.
- 6Gradually stir in the shrimp stock and half and half and whisk together until thick.
- 7Add salt and white pepper and stir well, then add the uncooked chopped shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink, careful not to overcook or the shrimp will toughen.
- 8Remove from heat and pour the sauce over the steamed cauliflower in a large serving dish; serve with bread and a green salad.
- 9Note: if you put the completed dish into a crockpot or other thermal container, it can also travel well to potlucks.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Cauliflower With Shrimp Sauce - Blomkal Med Reke
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.0
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.8 mg
- Sodium 288.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 19.2 g