Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hjortebakkels are smaller and richer than American cake doughnuts. Not included in prep time is letting the dough rest overnight. Posting for ZWT6 (Scandinavia/Norway)
- 8 eggs
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 1892.72 ml flour
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 0.59 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- juice & zest of one lemon
- 29.58 ml cognac
- sugar, to taste
- cardamom, to taste
- oil (for frying)
- Beat eggs until lemon colored.
- Add sugar, flour, butter, whipping cream, baking powder, baking soda, lemon juice and zest and Cognac.
- Mix until stiff dough forms. Let dough stand overnight.
- Form into roll as big around as your finger.
- Cut into 3 inch lengths and form circles by over lapping ends.
- Or roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with lightly floured doughnut cutter.
- Deep-fry at 350 degrees, turning frequently until puffed and brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cardamom to taste.
Good dougnuts. The dough was easier to work with than other doughnut recipes I've tried in the past, in fact I didn't need to use any flour when rolling the dough out. After refrigerating the dough overnight night, it took me about 90 minutes from start to finish. Made fo ZWT6.