Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A friend of mine who struggles with IBS found this recipe on an IBS website. It was so yummy that I have started making it too. It is low fat, high fiber, dairy free and taste great for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
- 2 egg whites (whole eggs are ok too)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled chopped granny smith apples (about 1 large apple)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 or 9 inch pie pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- Beat egg whites, sugar, vanilla, salt, baking powder, flour, acacia, and spices until smooth and fluffy (you can use a wire whisk or an electric mixer).
- Stir in nuts and apples.
- Turn batter into pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25- 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out with moist crumbs.
Outstanding!! I wasn't looking for a dairy-free or IBS related recipe, but perhaps the Norwegian in me was enough to know that this would be a winner. Very light, full of flavor and just a bit chewy. I did use 2 whole eggs and the ground flax seeds, but had NO clue what "acacia" is in step 3. Apparently, it's not needed! Norwegian or not, you'll love this quick amd easy dessert. MERP'd for All New Zaar Cookbook Tag. Thanks Rohnda!
I was looking to make apple bread but the recipe I have is super fatty (but really tasty) so I searched and this one came up. I didn't have any nuts and that's fine b/c I don't like them in breads, I used only the egg whites and the final dough came out a little too dry so I added 1/8 c of 2% milk. That worked fine and made 8 muffins (I had no pie pan). I baked for 25 minutes and they rose a little. They got flatter as they cooled. I will use less sugar (around 1/2) next time and will try them with whole wheat flour. I'm no nutmeg fan so I may use a little less next time, though the flavor does make them great.