- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes, cold
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F .
- Sift together dry ingredients for crust. Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
- Press 3/4 of this mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan. Reserve remaining crust mixture.
- Bake 10 minutes. Place pan on wire rack to cool slightly.
- Blend together mashed potatoes, powdered sugar, almonds, spices, water and egg white. Mix thoroughly.
- Gently spread mixture evenly over partially baked crust.
- Combine remaining crust mixture and egg yolk. Press together and roll on a floured surface in a 10 x 16 inch rectangle. Cut into strips and criss-cross on the filling.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into bars while still warm.