2 hrs 45 mins
Gwanny Hill's Note:
In NC, the fall air is often filled with the aroma of pork being barbecued over hot coals. This is one of the most popular fund raisers in the state. Cold Slaw is usually served with the barbecue along with hush puppies and baked beans. One of the largest such events in the state is in Charlotte, NC. In addition to the aforementioned menu items, this group serves Brunswick Stew with the meal. It is not unusual for this event to be attended by 7-10 thousand hungry patrons. There are hundreds of recipes for this delicious stew, with each cook insisting that hers is the original and best of all. The following recipe is the one that is used for the Mallard Creek barbecue, and this cook thinks that IT is the BEST! The taste is well worth the time for preparation. The stew is not "beautiful" but one forgets that quickly when it is tasted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put chicken, beef and pork in very large pot and cover with water.
- 2Bring to boiling point, reduce heat and simmer until meats are tender.
- 3Remove any bones and grind meat in food processor or on coarse blade of food chopper.
- 4Remove any foam from cooking liquid or strain through cheese cloth.
- 5Cook rice in strained liquid for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- 6Add corn, tomatoes and butter and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- 7Add ground meat and seasonings as desired and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- 8Add water or canned chicken broth if mixture is too thick.
- 9Serve with cornbread.
- 10This is a very hearty stew and does not need additional menu items.
- 11The stew can be frozen--will yield about 20 pints for freezer.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North Carolina Brunswick Stew
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.6
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 347.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 30.6 g