North Georgia Brunswick Stew
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Bring 2 quarts water and chicken to a boil in a Dutch; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Reserve 3 cups broth in Dutch oven. (Reserve remaining broth for other uses.).
- Pour lima beans and liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into Dutch oven. Reserve beans; add tomato to Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook stirring often, 40 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-third.
- Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Mash reserved beans with a potato masher.
- Add chicken, mashed and frozen beans, potato, and onion to Dutch oven. Cook over low heat, stirring often, 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Stir in corn and remaining ingredients; cook over low heat, stirring often, 1 hour.
- (Optional) 30 minutes before it is done I whisk the stew with an electric mixer for a more traditional smooth texture. I like to leave some chunks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm engaged and love trying new recipes for my fiance who loves to eat. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">