Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A tangy spiced pickle recipe from Adam's Cafe in West London. This is not a true pickle so it won't keep indefinitely, but it will be fine in the fridge for about four weeks.
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cabbage, chopped
- 5 ounces olives, a mixture of black, violet and green
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- Cut the cucumber into rounds, about 1/4in thick, and put in a small non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and put in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Drain off any water that has leached out, then rinse. Gently pat dry and put at the bottom of a sterilized 4 cup capacity jar.
- Cut the carrots into rounds, about the same thickness as the cucumber, and add these to the jar together with all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix everything well to make sure you distribute the spices. Cover and leave for a few days at room temperature, shaking the jar from time to time. After that, put your pickles in the fridge.