Recipe by Maura666
After reading a lot of different recipes, I "stole" what I liked from each one and came up with this. I'm not a kugel expert, but this recipe has worked for me on several occasions. The marmalade was used simply because I happened to have a jar of it handy, and it went well with the cinnamon. If you aren't as sugar-crazy as I am, by all means eliminate or reduce the amount of sugar (or, use unsweetened marmalade). This is a great dessert or side-dish for a crowd of people! :)
For the kugel
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled &,chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
For the topping
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, then add the egg noodles.
- Allow them to boil for about 5 minutes, or until*just* al-dente.
- (Noodles will continue cooking while in the oven.) Drain noodles.
- Return noodles to (now empty) pot.
- Add marmalade to noodles.
- (The hot noodles should melt the marmalade& make it easy to mix)-- Mix well.
- Whisk sour cream, eggs, cottage cheese, cinnamon, and sugar together in a bowl.
- When mixture is smooth, add fruit and stir.
- Pour egg mixture over noodles.
- Mix well.
- Spray a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour kugel mixture into casserole.
- Mix topping ingredients together, and sprinkle over kugel.
- Bake at 350* for 1 hour, or until the top has become crispy.