Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is AMAZING! Use any brand of non-alcoholic beer. This would probably be awesome for shrimp, veggies and anything you want to batter and fry. Trust me, this is delicious and some of the best fried fish. (and I have had some good fish frys on the east coast.) Enjoy!
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix non-alcoholic beer, egg and oil until well blended.
- Stir non-alcoholic mixture into flour mixture.
- It will be a bit thick, but should be smooth. If too lumpy, add just a splash more of non-alcoholic beer, that's what i did.
- Dip fish into batter, it will coat thick, its good that way, but if you want less batter just shake some off. Its a bit tricky, but just use your fingers and maybe a spoon to help coat.
- Put into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Batter was great! I used alcoholic beer & subbed Old Bay seasoning for half of the cumin & reduced salt by half. I used it to make Mahi Mahi fingers (cut each filet lengthwise, which also expedited cooking). I had a little batter left over so I sliced an onion & made some incredible onion rings to accompany the fish. Served with Choula hot sauce & Parmesan broccoli from this site. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome! I used "real" beer. But non alocholic would be tasty too. I just like having an excuse to drink the leftover. :) This is so good. I used cod and it was excellent. But I think it would be good on onion rings, fries, green beans or any other veggie. I first found this recipe last week and I'm already printing it out again to make dinner tonight. Thanks for posting!
What a lovely batter and I used non flavored Vita brand non alcoholic malt beverage (Jordan) and used it for Onion rings. They came out excetional and I can't wait to use this batter again for fish. Everyone gobbled it up for iftar. Thank you.