Recipe by NurseJaney
MOST of these cakes listed include eggs. This has been in my family for over 50 years, and is always well-received. It is baked in a loaf pan, and iced with either cream cheese or plain white icing.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Oh wow, this is a really, really good cake recipe! It is easy and rather quick to throw together and the cake tastes sooooo yummy! It is moist, with a nice crust on top and a fruity flavour. The tomato doesnt come through at all, only the colour of the cake makes it guessable that there is some tomato in it.
I used both raisins and chocolate in the form of chocolate covered raisins and they added a nice flavour to the cake. As I dont like my baked things to be too sweet I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup and that was just perfect.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great recipe with us, NurseJaney!
Ill surely make it again as everyone just loved it!
Made and reviewed for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #44 September 2010.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add tomato soup.
- Add water, rinsing can.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed product.
- Spray generously loaf pan with butter and flour spray.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.