Recipe by Sweramsan
We love chips and a dip, but they are not great buddies with our health. So here is a non creamy version of onion dip. It gives the same onion flavor we crave without the cream!! Even better it can be made in large batches and frozen and very easy on your pocket!!! What more easy on your pocket, healthy and makes in a jiffy!!!! Best ever game night companion:-)
- 2 red onions, large
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 -3 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon red lentil, bean
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons any oil
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Peel and dice the onions into big chunks.
- 2. In 1 teaspoon of oil fry the red lentil bean lightly switch off stove and add the red chillies to fry in the remaining heat of the oil. Take care not to burn it!
- 3. Transfer it into a blender and powder them with salt and coriander powder. Keep aside.
- 4. Add the rest of the oil in a hot pan and fry the onions till transparent. Do not over brown them. Spread this on a plate and let cool.
- 5. Add the onions and tamarind paste to the blender and blend. If you like little chunks leave them coarse or you can smooth it out.
- This freeze well. Enjoy with chips or some carrots, celery and broccolis. You may also add a hint of cream cheese right before using to give it an even creamier taste or just for a variation.