Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here's one of those "no cook quickie cakes" to put together when you are busy with other things. It's cool, low fat, fairly low sugar, yet has such a good flavor. I've seen similar recipes in magazines but they use pineapple and strawberries. My mother in law makes this with mandarin oranges and everyone loves it. I made a chocolate cake and this one when we had a crowd to feed, including 12 kids. This cake was gone and there was still half a chocolate cake left. Cooking time is really chilling time.
- 1 prepared angel food cake, ring (I buy the no sugar added one)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with liquid
- 1 (1 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (sugar free, fat free)
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Lite, thawed
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) candrained mandarin oranges (to garnish) (optional)
- Cut angel food cake into 2 or 3 layers.
- Stir the crushed pineapple and vanilla pudding until blended.
- Add madarin oranges, mixing well with pudding mixture. The orange sections will resemble the crushed pineapple when finished.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Frost layers of cake generously with this mixture and use remaining to "frost" the outside of the cake.
- You can arrange more mandarin orange sections along the top of the cake if desired. Gives it some color.
- Let chill for a couple of hours, if you can wait that long.
- Last time I wanted to let it "chill" it was gone before the chill time was finished.
Made this cake once before- however I did not use the oranges (will next time) instead layered strawberries in and place whole strawberries on top as garnish! Cake is light and perfect for summer