Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
When we started looking for healthier ways to eat I had to make some changes to my staple recipes. My mom used to make this with a bag and a half of shredded cheese, white pasta and no veggies. We really enjoy this new version with whole wheat pasta, and seasoned wheat breadcrumbs. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat rotini
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (I use the healthy request)
- 2 (16 ounce) light chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can carrots
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use smart balance butter blends)
- 1 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs (seasoned if desired)
- salt, to taste
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Boil Rotini to desired doneness and Drain.
- Stir in mushroom soup, tuna, peas, carrots (or other veggies) oregano, garlic and black pepper.
- Mix in 1/4-1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs.
- Pour into Casserole Dish.
- Mix remaining breadcrumbes and butter.
- Top Casserole with mixture and bake until topping begins to brown.
- Allow to sit 5-10 min before serving.
I did make several slight changes when preparing this dish ~ Used cream of vegetable soup rather than the mushroom kind; substituted lemon pepper for the usual S&P; & made up my own crumbs from a nutty, whole grain bread! Made for a very nice tasting, thoroughly enjoyable tuna dish! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]