Recipe by Veganized
A great vegan "cheeze" sauce! Try it on pizza, in tacos/tortillas or as a dip for nacho chips. To make "queso" sauce, just add 1 cup salsa at the end.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
This is pretty good. I made it with arrowroot powder but it was still not very thick. It's good for mac 'n chz, which is what we had it with, but not a dip consistency (or spreadable). The kids didn't turn their noses up at it, so that's good!
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornflour or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional, for sharper taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan whisk together water, lemon juice (and Dijon mustard, if using).
- Add nutritional yeast, flours and spices. Whisk to blend.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in oil/margarine.
- If making queso sauce, add salsa at this point.