Recipe by Hoosier Margie
This originally came from a MilNot can, but has evolved over time to what it is today. My mother started it and now my granddaughter is continuing it, and she has been since she was 6 years old. Now this is MY SWEET KATE'S RECIPE. Mom was diabetic and left the sugar out all together. No one noticed. Not to shabby if you don't happen to have a pie shell on hand. If you want an extra pie and you like it more fluffy, use the next size larger bowl of whipped topping.
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water (or juice drained from fruit)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping, thawed
- 2 graham cracker crust or 2 vanilla cookie pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve Jello and sugar in boiling water (or juice).
- Add cream cheese and beat with mixer until well blended.
- Cool until it starts to set but is still pretty soft.
- Add fruit.
- I use the mixer here too, but if you want the oranges to stay whole, better not.
- Fold in Cool Whip. Again, I use the mixer.
- Pour into crusts and chill.
- Eat a piece for me.