1/2 Photos of Nile River Lentil Soup
1 hr 5 mins
A very tasty vegetable soup from Egypt. I just hope that they aren't actually making soup with water from the Nile, lol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 slices lemons (1/4 inch thick or so)
- 1/2 cup tomato (chopped, canned or fresh)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1Heat oil in heavy pot on medium high heat.
- 2Saute onion and garlic until softened.
- 3Stir in lentils, ginger, cumin and coriander with onion/garlic mixture.
- 4Add lemon slices, stock, tomatoes, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- 5(you can add salt and pepper later, but it's usually added now).
- 6Add the water or vegetable stock.
- 7Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for about 45 minutes (it may only take 30 minutes) or until lentils are tender.
- 8If you like your soup thin, add more stock.
- 9Take the pot off the burner, discard lemon slices, and puree soup in blender or food processor.
- 10Season if you have not already added the salt and pepper.
- 11Sprinkle with coriander (cilantro leaves).
- 12Alternatively, you can add the cilantro before you put the soup in the food processor.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nile River Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.4
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 12.9 g