Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is a traditional Japanese beef stew serve in the winter for dinner. It is slightly sweet to the Japanese taste.
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 4 to 5 pieces each
- 1⁄3 lb beef, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 lb yellow onion, sliced (about 1/3 inch wide)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sake or 2 tablespoons white wine, to taste
- You can have the butcher at the market slice the beef very thin.
- Start by sauting the onion and beef in the vergatable oil. Then add the Soy Suace, brown sugar and white wine. Layer the potatoes on top of the beef and onions and cover with the water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the potatoes a tender. You can cook with the lid off for 10 minutes to get a thicker stew.