5 hrs 15 mins
this is a traditional brunch item from Pakistan -- served with Naan bread. this recipe is simple to put together but needs to cook several hours. i sometimes make it with boneless chicken + add a stock cube to get the stewy taste. if using beef - you can ask for "nihari meat" (its a special cut of meat) at your local Halal butcher shop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 kg beef
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1Heat oil in a heavy based pot.
- 2Add meat and fry it a little.
- 3Add salt, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and ginger paste.
- 4Mix well. Add a little water.
- 5Dissolve flour in half a cup of water and add this to the meat and bring to boil.
- 6Grind all the whole spices ( spice mix).
- 7Put all the ground spices in a fine cotton cloth bundle.
- 8and add to meat.
- 9OR grind them till powdery fine and add them to the meat.
- 10Add 3-4 cups of water; cover and leave to tenderize on very low flame. It can take up to 5 - 6 hours if using chicken and more if using beef.
- 11When meat has softened remove the bundle of spices and make the curry into desired consistency.
- 12To Garnish--Fry some onion slices in a little oil until golden brown and add to Nihari.
- 13Also garnish with fresh coriander, ginger and green chilies.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nihari (Pakistani Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 96.5 mg
- Sodium 97.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods