Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you have any left-over bagels around from the week, then this recipe is a good way to use them all up...I usually make this one on a Saturday night, so I can have it for Sunday brunch...the cheddar cheese can be replaced with Swiss, Colby or Monterey Jack if desired...a wonderful Brunch recipe. (note: plan ahead, this casserole needs to sit in fridge overnight)
- 4 plain bagels
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 9 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- Cut bagels vertically in half.
- Turn each half of bagel on its side, and cut into 6 thin pieces.
- Arrange half of the bagel slices in a greased 13 x 9-inch shallow baking dish.
- Combine the ham, bell peppers, onions and shredded cheddar cheese; sprinkle over bagel layer.
- Butter one side of remaining bagel slices; arrange slices, butter side up, over cheese mixture.
- Whisk, together, eggs, cream, mustard and salt; pour evenly over bagel mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- The following morning or day; remove from the fridge ONE hour before baking.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour, or until a knife inserted in centre, comes out clean.
- If the top is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- If desired, top with cheese slices the last 15 minutes of baking, continue baking until done.