Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this from a book of Latin American vegetarian recipes and it rapidly became one of my favourites. I make it regularly when aubergines are in season.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs aubergines, sliced 1/2 in. thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 -2 green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons tomato puree
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
- Place the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Then rinse under a cold tap and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, gas mark 6).
- Place the aubergine slices in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until just softened.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chilli peppers, cumin and tomato purée and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add the water, bring the mixture to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Layer half the aubergine slices in the bottom of a greased oven proof dish.
- Pour over half the sauce and sprinkle half the cheese on top.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients and bake for 20 minutes or until browned.