1/1 Photo of Next Door Lady's Kringla (Norwegian)
48 hrs 12 mins
The wonderful elderly lady next door while I was growing up would always bake these for her grandchildren and bake extra for me. The heavenly scent of it cooking would fill the house and make my mouth water. Getting these baked well takes a lot of practice, but it's well worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat all the liquids together well in a large bowl.
- 2Mix the dry ingredients together well in a medium bowl.
- 3Add dry ingredients to liquids.
- 4Then add either the vanilla or lemon extract.
- 5Refrigerate overnight.
- 6Set oven to preheat at 400 degrees.
- 7The dough is very sticky.
- 8Using a tablespoon, scoop out about a'golf ball size' spoonful of dough.
- 9Having your counter or bread board covered with flour (it takes quite a bit to avoid having it stick -- ), drop the spoonful onto the flour and roll it enough to get all the outside coated with a thin film of flour.
- 10Then roll the dough like a thin (1/2" thick or slightly less) rope.
- 11Putting the rope on your pre-greased cookie sheet, twist the ends over one another one time.
- 12Bring the loop at the top down over the twisted ends.
- 13That should make the shape you want (a figure eight shape).
- 14Put about 12 on each cookie sheet, and begin baking.
- 15Put the first cookie sheet on the lower (not at the lowest level, though) rack in your oven.
- 16Bake for 6 minutes (be exact -- she set a timer!) then transfer that sheet to the top rack of your oven (if you have an electric oven with the broiler on top, don't put them very close to the heat).
- 17Bake another 6 minutes (exact -- ) and take them out.
- 18They should be lightly browned on both the top and the bottom, if you have the correct temperature in your oven.
Nutritional Facts for Next Door Lady's Kringla (Norwegian)
Serving Size: 1 (1008 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.2
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 2.2 g