Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks (1 inch thick)
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk all the sauce ingredients with ½ cup water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then decrease heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Trim most of the exterior fat from the steaks; let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Roughly chop the garlic; then sprinkle the salt on top.
- Using both the sharp edge and the flat side of the knifeblade, crush the garlic and salt together to create a paste.
- In a small bowl, mix the paste with the oil, rosemary, and pepper; smear mixture evenly all over the steaks.
- Grill over direct high heat until cooked to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect heat).
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 3-5 minutes; serve warm with the sauce on the side.