Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
One of the top 100 recipes for 2007 from the Food Network. I tried it and boy is it delicious. The surprise is that's it easy too. This is definitely a special occasion meal!
- 4 New York strip steaks
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1⁄2 cup cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup brandy
For Mushroom Ragout
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced tomato
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- To prepare the steaks: Rub steaks with garlic clove, salt and cracked pepper. Marinate in Worcestershire sauce for 1 hour minimum.
- To prepare the ragout: Grill mushrooms whole, then coursely chop into 1/2 inch cubes. Pour olive oil in pan, add mushrooms and shallots, and saute until soft. Add tomatoes, heavy cream, and stock. Simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings and remove from heat. Keep warm if using immediately.
- To cook steaks and prepare cognac butter: Sear steaks in a heavy skillet on high heat to desired temperature, remove from heat. Add cognac and flame off, then whisk in the butter.
- Place mushroom ragout on plate. Cut steaks across the grain into 1/2 inch slices. Fan steaks on top of ragout and drizzle with cognac butter. Garnish as desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!