Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe by Joanna Farrow. I adapted it from a 30-minute vegetarian cook book.
- 500 g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 leeks, trimmed
- 40 g butter or 40 g olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons grated nutmeg
- coriander, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- warm bread
- Halve each potato, then halve the leeks lengthwise and then cut them accross into thin shreds.
- melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan. add mustard seeds, onion, garlic and potatoes and fry gently for 5 minute.
- add stock and nutmeg and bring to the boil.
- reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min or until potatoes are tender.
- stir in the leeks and corriander and cook for a further 5 minute.
- season and serve with warm bread with the parsley sprinkled over it.
- I have also sometimes added some cream to this soup and then put in a food processor or blender.