The recipe was posted in Southern Living. We live in Missouri now and can no longer get to Cafe DuMonde very often, so these were an acceptable alternative.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar in bowl of a heavy duty mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, eggs, salt, and remaining granulated sugar.
- 2Microwave remaining 1 cup water until hot, about 115 degrees, stir in shortening until melted. Add to yeast mixture. Beat at low speed, gradually adding 4 cups flour, until smooth.
- 3Gradually add remaining 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour, beating until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface; roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
- 5Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3 inches into a dutch oven; heat to 360 degrees; fry dough in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack. Dust immediately with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Beignets
Serving Size: 1 (1684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1846.6
- Calories from Fat 1284
- Total Fat 142.7 g
- Saturated Fat 36.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 459.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 19.1 g