- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup barley flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 gallon vegetable oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose and barley flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the dough into two balls.
- On a floured surface, knead each ball 10 to 20 times and roll out into a 9 x 9 inch square that is 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the big square into 12 smaller squares.
- Pour oil into cast-iron Dutch oven or other deep, heavy bottomed pot until it reaches a depth of 3 to 4 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry 3 or 4 beignets at a time, turning once shortly after dropping them into the hot oil, for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.