photo by PalatablePastime
- Ready In:
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Place water and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add all of the flour mixture in the bowl, stirring briskly (it will come together like a ball); remove pan from heat.
- Using a large whisk, blend in eggs one at a time, until mixture is smooth and whites are well incorporated.
- Add the lemon zest and stir to blend.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry to a temp of 375F (at least several inches).
- Drop batter mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls into hot oil and cook 5-7 minutes, frequently turning beignets with chopsticks to cook all sides, and frying until nicely golden.
- Drain beignets on paper towels.
- When cool, dust with powdered sugar (if you dust them while they are too warm, the sugar will melt and get damp).
- Heat jam or jelly until melted using a small saucepan or microwave, stirring occasionally as it melts.
- Serve beignets with melted jam as a dipping sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used to make these long ago, and lost the recipe. I was so glad to find it here on Zaar (thru PRMR game). This is exactly as I made them years ago, and Buddha made this batch as I watched over, and he did a wonderful job! These are so yummy as is, but with warmed jam they're even better. Jelly donuts, look out! Thanks for posting Sue, this was a very missed recipe. :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org