Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
In ' Comfort Food Fix' by Ellie Krieger
- 1 tablespoon olive, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, diced (2 oz.)
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 celery ribs, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (1 lb) containersfrozen clams packed in their own juice, thawed, juice reserved
- 1 1⁄4 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cold low-fat milk (1%)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- hot pepper sauce, for serving (Tabasco)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large soup pot over med-high heat.
- Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 3-4 minutes; transfer the bacon to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the onion, celery, salt, and black pepper to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the water, reserved clam juice (about 1 1/2 cups), potatoes, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Partially cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, and flour until the flour is dissolved.
- Slowly add the mixture to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Continuing to stir, bring the soup to a simmer (do not boil).
- Reduce the heat to med-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the clams and simmer 2 minutes more.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Right before serving, stir in the bacon; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with hot pepper sauce.
- 260 calories per 1 1/2 cup serving.