Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
If you like Kidney Beans, then this is a recipe not to be missed! Rich in flavor and absolutely delicious! Serve with Boston Brown Bread and you have one fabulous meal! I use my 6 qt. crock pot and there is plenty of room. Preparation time does not include soaking beans overnight. The cooking time is approximate, so check your beans periodically.
Top Review by miltt
I love beans any which way but loose. I have been craving some and saw this recipe posted awhile back and saved it. I am glad I did, because they were really delicious! These were really easy to make, even for a dummie like me that can't cook for beans :) Had along with some weiners and corn bread. Milt
- 2 lbs kidney beans, cleaned
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 6 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onions, cut in 1/2 or 1 large onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse dry beans in cold water. Place in a lg. bowl, and cover with 2" of cold water. Let soak overnight in refrigerator. Drain, and rinse beans.
- Put beans in a lg. crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high 12-14 hours or on low for 24 hrs., or until beans are soft, and juice is thick. Stir occasionally.
- Check water occasionally to make sure there is enough water in the beans, so they don't boil dry.
- If you use a smaller size crock pot cut the recipe in 1/2, and cook until beans are done. I always use my large crock pot, so I'm not sure how long it takes.