Recipe by *Petunia*
These are what come to mind when I think of baked beans- not all that canned stuff! It is not an exact-kind of recipe so if you're that kind of person, pass this one by. They can take 5-7 hours to cook and you have to watch them so they won't dry up :)
- 2 lbs yellow-eye beans or 2 lbs navy beans or 2 lbs pea beans, soaked in water overnight
- 8 ounces salt pork, cut into 12 pieces (fat back)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put half of the salt pork in the bottom of a bean pot or casserole.
- Ladle in the beans (drained).
- Add the rest of the salt pork, pushing it down to be covered by the beans.
- In a saucepan, boil the water and molasses.
- Pour on top of the beans.
- Top with the onions.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 hours.
- Keep checking to see if more water should be added, the beans have to be covered or you'll get hard little dried up beans!
- Taste test after the first 5 hours to check for doneness.
- Stir in the salt& pepper during the last 10 minutes of cooking.