Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
The cream in this recipe makes it special and, of course, creamier --
Make and share this Neiman Marcus $50 Apple Pie... It's That Good! recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted kerry irish gold butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup crisco vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 11 cups cored peeled, sliced Rhode Island Greening apples (about 12)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream or 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup milk, for brushing on top crust
- To prepare the crust:.
- Place the flour, chilled butter, shortening and salt in a food processor. Process just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With the machine running, add enough ice water through the feed tube for the dough to begin to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wap or wax paper and refrigerate
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the pastry dough in half.
- Roll out one-half into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Line a 10-inch pie plate wirh the dough and trim the edge
- Prepare the filling:.
- Place the apples in a lare mixing bowl and toss with the sugar, flour, salt, cream and cinnamon [or 1 tsp cardamom or dash of angostura bitters].
- Mound the filling in the pie shell.
- Roll out the remaining dough 1/8 inch thick.
- Cover the pie with the top crust, pressing firmly to seal the edge, and crimp the edge decoratively.
- Make several small steam vent slashes in he top crust. Brush the crust with a little milk to ensure a shiny crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drippings while baking.
- Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. If the crust seems to be getting too brown, cover it loosely with foil and continue baking.
- Cool the pie overnight
- Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Serves 8-12.