2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
carrie sheridan's Note:
The cream in this recipe makes it special and, of course, creamier --
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted kerry irish gold butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup crisco vegetable shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 11 cups cored peeled, sliced Rhode Island Greening apples (about 12)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream or 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk, for brushing on top crust
- 1To prepare the crust:.
- 2Place the flour, chilled butter, shortening and salt in a food processor. Process just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3With the machine running, add enough ice water through the feed tube for the dough to begin to form a ball.
- 4Wrap the dough in plastic wap or wax paper and refrigerate
- 5Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 6Divide the pastry dough in half.
- 7Roll out one-half into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- 8Line a 10-inch pie plate wirh the dough and trim the edge
- 9Prepare the filling:.
- 10Place the apples in a lare mixing bowl and toss with the sugar, flour, salt, cream and cinnamon [or 1 tsp cardamom or dash of angostura bitters].
- 11Mound the filling in the pie shell.
- 12Roll out the remaining dough 1/8 inch thick.
- 13Cover the pie with the top crust, pressing firmly to seal the edge, and crimp the edge decoratively.
- 14Make several small steam vent slashes in he top crust. Brush the crust with a little milk to ensure a shiny crust.
- 15Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drippings while baking.
- 16Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. If the crust seems to be getting too brown, cover it loosely with foil and continue baking.
- 17Cool the pie overnight
- 18Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- 19Serves 8-12.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Neiman Marcus $50 Apple Pie... It's That Good!
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.5
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 383.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 29.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g