Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
For those who served in the Navy this was a breakfast favorite in many places.
Make and share this Navy Red S.o.s recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, breaking it up into pea sized pieces as it cooks.
- When beef is about half cooked, add chopped onions and continue cooking until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add each of the 3 tablespoons of flour and stir to cook in completely.
- Add the diced tomatoes, juice and mace, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve over white toast slices.
This recipe brought me back to my U.S. Navy days in the early '60's. I thought it was very close to the S.O.S we would get on my ship, although I thought the original stuff was a little more fluid. My tastes are a little different now so I chose to spice it up a little with Louisiana Hot Sauce. Next time I will also make some home-fried potatoes to go with it. Very good!