This is an Indian vegetable korma with nuts, paneer cheese, and an adjustable list of vegetables. It is in a tomato-cream sauce as opposed to the usual yogurt based sauce. 'Navratan' means 'nine gems,' so choose nine of the vegetable, nuts, and paneer ingredients; you can leave out the elements you don't want to use, or add them all so it is 'ten gems' if you wish. From LunaCity on allrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/3 cup mixed nuts (cashews, pistachios, almonds)
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup chopped potato
- 4 ounces panir, cubed (Cottage Cheese)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place mixed nuts in the skillet, cook and stir until golden brown, and set aside.
- 2Stir onion into the skillet, and cook until tender.
- 3Mix in garlic paste and ginger paste, and cook 1 minute.
- 4Stir in tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala.
- 5Pour in water, and mix in raisins, carrots, green bell pepper, beans, peas, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- 6Heat remaining oil in a separate skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the paneer on both sides, until golden brown.
- 7Drain on paper towels. Place in a bowl with enough hot water to cover for about 2 minutes to soften, then stir into the skillet with the vegetables.
- 8Stir milk and cream into the skillet with the vegetables and paneer. Bring to a boil, and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Nutritional Facts for Navratan Korma
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.4
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.5 mg
- Sodium 407.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: