1/1 Photo of Nava's Jamaican-Inspired Red Beans and Rice
From Nava Atlas. One half teaspoon of thyme indicated in original recipe was replaced with fresh cilantro. (Sorry, I don't care for thyme.) Adzuki beans are available both dried and canned.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Sautè the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- 2Add the rice, drained beans, coconut milk and thyme if using.
- 3Bring to a simmer then cover and cook over low heat until most of the coconut milk has evaporated, about 15 minutes. (The mixture should be moist but not watery.).
- 4Garnish with cilantro leaves. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nava's Jamaican-Inspired Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 958.3
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 49.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk