1/3 Photos of Nanny's Nursery Baked Jam Roly Poly Pudding
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
One of the mainstay recipes of Nanny's culinary repertoire for Nursery puddings, a classic British baked Jam Roly Poly - you cannot beat it! And, not just for children either, but "big" children, especially men love this pudding with lashings of custard! This pudding can be steamed as well as baked, but I much prefer the baked version for taste and ease. If you find shredded suet hard to obtain, put a block of butter in the freezer and grate it when it has frozen - this is the best substitute I know - it's the small grains or flakes of suet/butter that gives the pastry its rise and texture. I find the best jams for this delectable pudding are raspberry, plum and High Dumpsy Dearie; I have this recipe posted on Zaar: High Dumpsy Dearie – Traditional English Fruit Jam. However, any other jam would be fine, depending on what you have available, and golden syrup is also delicious. Feel free to use vegetarian shredded suet as I often do, it is lighter than shredded beef suet, although not as traditional.
My Private Note
Jam Rol ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 4 ounces shredded suet or 4 ounces grated frozen butter
- cold water, to mix
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- 2Grease/line a large rectangular baking tray - about 12 x 9 inches.
- 3In a large bowl, mix the flour, suet and salt together.
- 4Add sufficient cold water to make a pliable dough.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and knead gently.
- 6Roll out the pastry into a rectangle of about 10 x 8 inches.
- 7Spread the surface of the rolled pastry with the jam of your choice, to within 1 inch of the border.
- 8Moisten the edges of the pastry with some water, and roll it up loosly like a Swiss Roll, starting at the narrow end.
- 9Press the edges together firmly to seal and gently lift onto a greased/lined baking tray - with the join UNDERNEATH the Roly Poly.
- 10Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- 11To Steam:.
- 12Loosely wrap in greaseproof paper and foil, and steam for 1 1/2 hours.
- 13To Serve:.
- 14Serve hot, cut into slices and with custard or cream.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nanny's Nursery Baked Jam Roly Poly Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.5
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 11.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g