British Baked Beans
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 4 ounces dried white beans
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 4 cloves
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (10 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tomatoes, diced, peeled and deseeded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- •Place the beans in large bowl or pan, cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight.
- •Next day rinse the beans and place in a large ovenproof pan or deep roasting tin, with enough cold water to cover.
- •Pierce the peeled onion with the cloves and add to the beans with 2 tsp of the tomato concentrate, black peppercorns, bay leaf, sage, the garlic and the canned tomatoes. Bring to the boil on the stove top then place in the oven for approx 2-3 hours until the beans are quite soft. From time to time during the cooking, check that the beans aren't drying out, if they appear to be lower the heat and add a little boiling water.
- •Remove the bay leaf and cloves and onion. Add the diced tomato and the remaining tomato concentrate, stir, then cook for 30 minutes more. Season to taste and serve sprinkled with fruity olive oil, if using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Even though I am still young (25) Life experince has aged me alot. I learned to cook at both of my grandmother's knees (One southern American, one southern Irish) when I was about five. By ten I started collecting cookbooks and experinmenting on my own. As a latch key kid I cooked for my four younger brothers and sisters. My mom ran a small deli before she died when I was 17 so alot of my recies debuted there. Now I run my own catering Buisness. I am married to a wnderful man for five years now. I am a six year old daughter, sons who are four and three. We are also raising my 14 year old sister and nine Year old stepsister and have a 16 year old foster daughter, all of which love cooking with me. I am writing a cookbook with the hopes that when I pass I can leave my recipes for them My cookbook collection has now reached over 1200. Thank you for trying and reviewing my recipes.. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">