Recipe by Jessica Hayes
My mother in law gave me this recipe. She has been making it for 40 years! I use it for all of my cakes, I can't stand regular icing. This icing is not too sweet or buttery. This icing does best if cake is kept in the fridge.
Top Review by Little Bee
I used this icing on a packaged Red Velvet cake mix and it turned it into something special! Wanted to make a cake but didn't have any frosting in a can so I made this and I'm glad I did! I may never return to canned frosting again! :)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour and milk in a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat bring to a slow boil while stirring constantly (use a wisk).
- Boil until thick, remove from heat, place pan in refrigerator.
- While boiled mixture is cooling, using mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- When boiled mixture is completely cool add to butter mixture and beat until very fluffy and thick.