Flour Frosting (Red Velvet Cake Frosting)
photo by Mommy2two
- Ready In:
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a saucepan until combined. Add the milk and cook over medium heat until it barely simmers (bubbles around the edge of the pan), whisking constantly. It will thicken slightly.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high until the outside of the bowl is cool to the touch (about 8-10 minutes).
- Reduce the speed to low and add the butter (and vanilla extract if you are using it). Once the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy (about another 3-5 minutes), scraping down as needed.
- If you are tinting your frosting, add the coloring and continue to whip until the color is evenly distributed.
- Use immediately to frost a two-layer cake, or 24 cupcakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent and not too sweet frosting! I have tried other flour frosting recipes with good results. This recipe is different in that the sugar is cooked with the milk and flour, the hot mixture is whipped, and the butter is added to that. There were absolutely no lumps and no flour taste. It was also easier than the other recipes because you don't have to wait for the mixture to cool, but you do need a stand mixer. There was also plenty to frost a 2 layer cake. Thanks for sharing!
This is THE BEST and EASIEST Red Velvet frosting I have ever used. And, might I add, the only one I have ever been able to successfully make. I made extra large Red Velvet cupcakes and "filled" them with this frosting, as well as frosted them with this and then "crumbled" ref velvet cake on top. Not only were they pretty, they were DELICIOUS1 THANK YOU for a recipe that I can successfully make!