Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is my grandmother's brisket recipe and the sauce is especially good on kasha varnishkes. I like making it in a crockpot, but my mother still makes it on the stovetop or in the oven, which are both good options. If you can't find Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning (try online), beef bouillon powder can be substituted (but it won't be as good!) The sauce is thin, and I've tried thickening it before, but it isn't as good.
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (1/8 ounce) packageswashington's rich brown seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Trim some of the fat from the brisket and brown it in olive oil.
- Rub Brown Seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper onto the brisket.
- Put 1/2 cup chicken broth, 2 of the sliced onions and the garlic on the bottom of a crock pot.
- Place the seasoned brisket on top, and cover with the remaining onions.
- Cook on high for about 6 hours.
- Remove the meat and slice thinly on the crossgrain.
- Place sliced meat back in the crockpot with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Cook for about another hour until the beef is tender but not falling apart.
- Serve with kasha varnishkes.