Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this yummy looking recipe in a Jello cookbook, but I haven't had time to try it yet. I'll post it here so I'll be sure not to lose it before I get to make it.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (or 1/4 cup of each if desired) or 1⁄2 cup coconut (or 1/4 cup of each if desired)
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- To make the crust, in a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt together 1 stick of butter and the unsweetened chocolate in the microwave oven 30 seconds at a time, stirring every 30 seconds till melted.
- Then add the graham cracker crumbs and nuts and/or coconut and stir until blended.
- Press into a 9 inch square pan and chill until firm.
- Then make the filling by combining the pudding powder, 1/3 cup butter, boiling water, and powdered sugar using a mixer or food processor.
- Spread this over the chilled crust and refrigerate for an hour while making the top layer.
- Melting together the semi sweet chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl, 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until melted and mixed well.
- Spread evenly over the chilled bars and refrigerate until firm then cut into bars.
- Cover and store refrigerated.
These are good but not the real Nanaimo bar recipe! (you need to have the custard layer - much better than the pudding layer)