Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very rich and very sweet no-bake bar. It is named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. Prep time is approximate and cook time is chill time. This bar is easier to cut when almost room temp., but should be stored in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (European-style cultured if possible)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 teaspoons cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bottom Layer: Melt 1/2 cup butter, sugar and cocoa in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Stir in crumbs, coconut and almonds. Press firmly into an ungreased 8x8-inch pan. (The butter may ooze as you are pressing down, but it will get absorbed.).
- Middle layer: Cream 1/2 cup butter, cream, custard powder, vanilla and icing sugar together. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
- Top layer: Melt together chocolate squares and 2 Tablespoons butter. Let cool until barely warm but still liquid. Spread over middle layer. (The middle layer may melt a bit, but that is okay.).
- Chill and store in fridge.
A beautiful recipe, worth the work. Incredible to enjoy, sooooo much better than store bought-no comparison!!!
This is one very, very sweet bar - its not for the faint of heart ! Mine turned out OK, but it was very difficult to cut, even at room temperature. The kids I made this for thought it was way too sweet - but ate it anyway !