Namasu (Daikon and Carrot Salad)
- 1⁄2 daikon radish, cut in half so ends are round (about 4 inches/10 cm long)
- 1⁄2 carrot (about 2 in/5 cm long)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- citrus zest (optional, only use yuzu, but website doesn't recognize the name)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Peel the daikon and carrot.
- Thinly slice the daikon and carrot lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slabs (3 mm thickness). Stack a few slabs at a time and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick strips.
- Put daikon and carrot julienned strips in a bowl and sprinkle salt. Give a gentle massage and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine all the ingredients for the seasonings in a small bowl and whisk well together.
- Squeeze water out of daikon and carrot and put in a new bowl.
- Pour the seasonings and mix well togther. Garnish with thin strips of yuzu and serve at room temperature or chilled.
- The ratio of carrot to daikon should be 1 to 5.