Mom made this for all the occasions, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, sometimes birthday's if we begged loud enough. My baba taught her, so it is traditional, but it is different than the other's posted here. A little sweet, a little lemony. We had it as a side during the big meal (a pallet cleanser), but it is good for breakfast with fruit, light lunch with seafood, and excellent with a sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fine sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1Sift the first four ingredients together and make a well in it.
- 2Beat the egg with the milk, water and lemon zest. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir well. The mixture will be lumpy.
- 3Butter a small fry pan (or crepe pan if you have one) and using a small gravy ladel (equal to about 2 tablespoons) to portion the batter, pour out about a small crepe. Swirl the pan to thin the crepe out and make about a 6" diameter.
- 4Fry over medium heat until the top of the crepe dries out and there is a slight color on the bottom side. Flip the crepe as you would a pancake.
- 5As the crepes cook, stack them on a plate and cover them with a clean towel so as to keep them from drying out.
- 6Blend the filling ingredients together and mash them with the back of a spoon to ensure that the cottage cheese is smooth.
- 7Spread the filling onto the crepe as you would when spreading a sandwich with butter (about 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon of filling/crepe).
- 8Roll the crepes up, cut them in 1/2 and layer them in a small buttered casserole.
- 9Brush each layer with melted butter.
- 10Cover and bake at 250F for 30 minutes.
- 11My MIL added a yolk to her crepe, and used all milk as the liquid. She also finely chopped onion and dill into the filling. She served this with a rich mushroom sauce. Yum! and completely different again!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nalysnyky (Lynn's Blintz)
Serving Size: 1 (601 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.8
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 150.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.5 g