Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this is the best version I have dreampt up. The fennel seeds really make it taste just like pizza!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 ounces pepperoni, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 ounce) can pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown hamburger and onion, drain, add the pepperoni and seasonings.
- Cook pasta in salted water, drain, mix with the tomatoes, sauce and meat.
- Stir in cheese.
- Put all in a baking dish and bake for 1/2 hour at 350°F.
- You can sprinkle more cheese on top during baking, if desired. Also, you can add black olives, sliced, sub. Italian sausage for the hamburger, throw in some sliced mushrooms, whatever you like!
I usually make recipes twice before I rate them as I seriously dislike reviewers who change, then rate the recipe vs making it as written first. Good as written so I am rating this 4 stars for ease, time and ingredients usually on hand. But for my family's preference I made the following modifications. Used spiral noodles in place of egg noodles as they capture more sauce. 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 hot italian sausage which gave the casserole more complexity. Used small pre-sliced pepperoni to save time. Most importantly, this is a great casserole for making ahead, as with many pasta dishes, the flavor gets better the longer it sits. Overall this is a great base recipe to build on. Oh, and be sure to cover the top with foil or it will burn! Thanks for sharing this fun recipe! Thanks so much for a GREAT new recipe! BUT over all This is a 6 Stars! P.S. If someone is making this for the first time know that you should be feeding a crowd! or at least make it in two dishes so you can freeze one for a later date. I ended up freezing half the dish after 4 of us ate us at until we were stuffed. Cant wait to make this for a Pot luck! I will definitely make this again. PRMR 2013....Grpa Thank you, again.Have a great week and I'll see you in the threads!
Fantastic recipe! I added some canned mushrooms I had to the sauce and used more cheese than the recipe called for...maybe 3/4 of a cup more. And I took the first reviewers advice and covered the dish for a bout 25 minutes then uncovered and sprinkled the rest of the cheese on top and put it bake in the oven for 5 more minutes. Wonderful! Made for Pammyowl's Cookathon.